Mar 27, 2008
Helpful Weight Watcher Tips to Lose Weight
1. Keep a Food Journal - Record everything you eat and drink immediately including the sugar in your coffee. You will start noticing where your bad eating habits are and how to change them. Write down the points next to everything you eat so you can monitor how many points you have consumed.
2. Drink 6 Cups of Water a Day - I find it helpful to always have a glass of water near me at all times.
3. Eat More Greens - There are so many nutrients in leafy greens like carotenoids, folate, calcium, and fatty acids. Put them in salads, soups, dips, or eat them as a side dish. They are delicious cooked or raw and they are zero points.
4. Cook With Fat Free Broth - I like to keep chicken broth stocked in my pantry. I can make a quick soup by adding vegetables, or I use it in place of oil when I cook vegetables or rice, to give food extra flavor without the added points.
5. Eat Whole Grains - Switch to brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta whenever possible. These foods are loaded with nutrients and fiber.
6. Measure Everything - Know your measurements or you will be consuming more points than you think. The only way to get an accurate point count is by measuring everything.
7. Use Skim Milk - You should have 2 servings of milk a day. Using skim milk instead of whole will save you half the points.
8. Take Your Time Eating - Cut your food in small portions and enjoy each bite. It takes 20 minutes before the stomach can tell the brain it is full. You will eat less if you take your time.
9. Use Smaller Plates - This tricks your brain into thinking you are eating more food.
10. Exercise - Exercise doesn't have to be boring! Take a Zumba class or if you aren't comfortable with lifting weights take a weight lifting class. You'll burn lots of calories, build muscle and feel great! The more you exercise, the easier it becomes and the more calories you burn, which means you can deduct points for food you can eat! Make sure to eat the amount of points recommended. If you burn 5 - 7 points during an exercise session, make sure you eat.
11. Eat More Seafood - I was so happy to learn that shrimp and scallops are low in points. Get the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids when eating fatty fish such as salmon.
12. Use Meat as a Condiment - You don't have to give up meat to lose weight. Use lean meat as a flavoring instead of the main ingredient. Make stir-fries with lots of vegetables.
13. Eat More Fiber - Eating fiber is key for weight control because it fills you up with fewer calories. Foods like beans, plant foods, whole grains are all high in fiber. The higher the fiber, the lower the points.
14. Eat More Vegetarian Meals - Plant foods are rich in phytochemicals, fiber and protein. They are low in calories and saturated fats. I like to make vegetable soups, stir-fries, pasta primavera, and salads.
15. Eat Healthy Snacks - The best way to make your metabolism work faster is by eating smaller meals, so in between your regular meals, snack on zero to very low point foods so you will not feel hungry throughout the day. Snack on crudites, fruit, fat free popcorn, salsa with baked chips, whole grain crackers, bruschetta. I like to buy Weight Watchers Smart Ones desserts and Weight Watchers ice cream bars. They taste great and are low in points. Also, Skinny Cow, Philly Swirl Sugar Free Swirl Stix, Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Cups are all low in points. I have a link at the top right of my blog, 1 POINT SNACKS, that I like to get ideas from.