What can be more kid friendly than a bowl of soup with spaghetti and meatballs! Lean turkey meatballs are cooked in a light tomato broth with cut up spaghetti. This is a one pot meal my whole family loves and leftovers are great for lunch.
This is a recipe from the archives that has been greatly overlooked. I finally got a chance to re-photograph this one, something I wanted to do for a while because it's very popular in my home and I'm sure it will be popular in yours. A delicious quick family-friendly meal for under $10!
Meatball and Spaghetti Soup
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/6th (about 1 1/2 cups) • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 212.9 • Fat: 3.2 g • Carb: 27.4 g • Fiber: 3.9 g • Protein: 22.1 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 738.7 mg (without added salt)
For the soup:
- 5 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chopped cloves garlic, divided
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped, divided
- 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce (I use my quick marinara sauce)
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 6 oz dry cut up spaghetti, I used Ronzoni Smart Taste
- 16 oz 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining ground turkey, parmesan cheese, egg, remaining garlic, remaining onion, remaining parsley, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into little 1 inch meatballs (about 36).
Drop meatballs into the broth, cook about 3 minutes; add pasta and cook according to package directions. Add fresh basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated parmesan cheese.