I love making this colorful, salad when the weather warms, it makes enough to feed a crowd and makes a great side dish or appetizer if served with chips. It's also great as a topping for taco salads or served with grilled meat and fresh tortillas.
And BONUS, this salad is low in saturated fat and loaded with antioxidants. A perfect summer side dish for grilled meat, fish or chicken. It's best when you use sweet fresh roasted corn, but if corn is not in season, frozen, thawed corn will work just fine in it's place.
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
Servings: 13 • Size: 1/2 cup • Points +: 2 pts • Smart Points: 2
Calories: 79.5 • Fat: 3.5 g • Carb: 12 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 3 g • Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 127 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 0 mg
- 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 9 oz cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh minced cilantro (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 medium hass avocado, diced
- 1 diced jalapeno (optional)
Makes about 6 1/2 cups.