Tuna casserole, the quintessential American dish. Perfect for potlucks and under $10 to make. This recipe has tuna, mushrooms, peas and noodles in a creamy cheese sauce topped with breadcrumbs.
Call me un-American, but this was the first tuna casserole I've ever had. You heard me right! In fact, when I told my daughter what we were having, she warned me she may be eating something else tonight.
The good news is we all LOVED it, they even had seconds. Next time I plan on adding broccoli as well, and yes there will be a next time!
I've had so many requests in the past year to make a lightened up tuna casserole, so this was way overdue. I asked my facebook fans how they like their tuna casserole and I was amazed at how many ways people make this but they all had the basics, tuna, soup or white sauce, cheese, veggies and something crunchy on top. Was debating topping with potato chips as some people suggested, but decided to stick with breadcrumbs. Panko would be great for added crunch.
Can't wait to hear what you all think!
Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/6th • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 318 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 27.3 g • Carb: 34.3 g • Fiber: 3.6 g
- 6 oz no yolk noodles (you can use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest, or brown rice pasta for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, minced fine
- 3 tbsp flour (gluten free use rice flour)
- 1 3/4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 oz sherry (optional)
- 10 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen petite peas (thawed)
- 2 (5 oz) cans tuna in water, drained (I used albacore)
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar (I used Cabot)
- butter flavored cooking spray
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
Cook noodles in salted water until al dente, or slightly undercooked by 2 minutes. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large deep skillet. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat
Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray 9 x 12 casserole with butter flavored cooking spray.