Banana Cranberry Bread
If you have ripe bananas lying around, today is the perfect day to make this wonderfully moist banana bread studded with tart ruby cranberries!
It’s snowing here today – the kind of day I look for any excuse to turn on my oven so I can warm up my home with the scent of fresh baked goodness. With ripe bananas on my counter, and some cranberries left over from yesterday’s pear-cranberry crumble, I knew exactly what I wanted to make.
This bread turned out moist and wonderful, I love the contrast of the sweet bananas with the tart cranberries in each bite. Some other Skinnytaste banana bread recipes you may enjoy are Banana Nut Bread, Roasted Strawberry Banana Bread, Petite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Loaves, and Pumpkin Banana Bread.
Stay warm and enjoy!
Banana Cranberry Bread
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- baking spray
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 ripe medium bananas, lightly mashed
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- In a small saucepan combine the cranberries water and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat until the cranberries burst, about 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture and blend at low speed until combined, do not over mix.
- Fold in cranberries and pour batter into the prepared loaf pan; sprinkle with turbinado sugar on top and bake in the center rack for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the pan cool at least 25 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 1 slice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 3
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 94
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Sodium: 105mg
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 11g
- Protein: 2g