Moist and chewy coconut macaroons are not just for Passover! They are pretty addicting, and naturally gluten free, so enjoy them any time of the year!
… and making macaroons couldn’t be easier, you simply combine coconut flakes, egg whites, and sugar, simmer on the stove, cool then bake in the oven. If you want to get fancy you could add some slivered almonds or drizzle them with chocolate, but here’s a basic recipe.
- 3/4 cup (5 large) egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 10 oz sweetened coconut flakes (Baker's)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, sugar and coconut flakes and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until all the ingredients combine together, about 12-15 minutes.
- The mixture should be sticky and moist, not dry.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond and vanilla extracts. Set aside on a dish and let it cool in the refrigerator about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300°.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop tightly packed tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Bake 27-30 minutes or until golden.
Yield: 17 servings, Serving Size: 2 cookies
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 6
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 129
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 74mg
- Carbohydrates: 14.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 13.5g
- Protein: 2g