Mom’s Stuffing, Lightened Up
Day old whole wheat French bread, bacon, onion, celery, sage and parsley are combined then baked to make a place at your Thanksgiving table.
My mom always makes Thanksgiving dinner, she loves cooking and entertaining and wouldn’t have it any other way. We all help out by bringing a side dish, appetizers, and dessert so she’s not doing all the work, and this way we get to enjoy our time together because isn’t that what it’s all about?
Although we all bring sides, my Mom always makes the stuffing. I’ve taken my Mom’s recipe and lightened it up for all to enjoy. For more people double this recipe, Mom always stuffs the turkey with one batch, and makes another batch in a casserole dish served on the side.
It’s best to cut the bread and let it sit out overnight to get hard, but if your pressed for time you can put it in the oven at 250°F for about 30 minutes, stirring half way until the bread is completely firm.
How do you spend your Thanksgiving and who’s doing the cooking?
Mom's Stuffing, Lightened Up
- 1 (12 oz) loaf whole wheat french bread, cut into small cubes
- 3 slices center cut bacon, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 medium stalks celery, minced
- 10 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 2/3 cup chopped parsley
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- cooking spray
- If your bread is fresh, preheat the oven and bake the bread cubes on 2 baking sheets at 250°F for about 30 minutes, stirring half way until the bread is completely firm.
- Increase the oven to 350°F.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat cook bacon for about 2 minutes. Add butter; when melted add onions, celery, parsley, sage, salt and pepper and saute on medium low until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken broth and egg.
- In a large bowl add bread and combine with sauteed vegetables. Add chicken broth and egg mixture and combine well. If stuffing is too dry, add a little water until you have the right consistency.Spray a casserole with baking spray, add stuffing and bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 4
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 161
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 455mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 7g