Getting your family to eat their veggies can often be difficult. Well these kid-friendly zucchini tots are the perfect solution! They make a great side for breakfast or dinner!
I shared this recipe a few years ago, and we all loved them, but the only issue was I made them in a mini muffin tin, and they stuck to the pan. Here’s a photo of them as mini muffins…
Then last year I made these cauliflower tots and baked them on a baking sheet and they were perfect. So last night I decided to try it out with this recipe, and the results were zucchini tot perfection – no more sticking to the pan!
I also like how they got a little crisp on the edges – so good! My husband LOVED these, and he’s pretty particular when it comes to eating zucchini. One advice is to be sure to squeeze as much water out of the shredded zucchini, I just used paper towels. Some moisture will still remain, but they will turn out just fine.
I have tons of zucchini recipes here on Skinnytaste, so many I created an entire Pinterest board called Yummy Zucchini devoted to it. A few of my favorites are Zucchini Enchiladas (perfect for meatless Mondays), Chicken Rollatini Stuffed with Zucchini and Mozzarella, Zucchini Pizza Bites and one of my summer favorite’s – Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats. For breakfast you can try this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, even the pickiest of kids will enjoy them!
- cooking spray
- 1 packed cup grated zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 medium onion, minced
- 1/4 cup grated reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel until you have 1 packed cup. Wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini, there will be a lot of water. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small ovals. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, turning halfway though cooking until golden. Makes 16.
Yield: 3 servings, Serving Size: 5 tots
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 3
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 108
- Total Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 262mg
- Carbohydrates: 11.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 7g