A hearty sweet potato soup recipe loaded with chicken, kale and veggies.
Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
This hearty soup – loaded with chicken, kale, sweet potatoes and veggies, will warm your bones on this cold winter we are having! And the leftovers are perfect for heating up for lunch the next day and can also be frozen for another night.
I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes unless they are savory, so I loved them in this soup! There’s no grains in here, but a large bowl is very satisfying. The jalapeño adds the perfect flavor, and just a trace of heat. Of course if you like your food spicy, you could add more! This is naturally gluten-free, Paleo, Whole 30 compliant and a great One-Pot meal. Here’s a few more Soup Recipes you may also enjoy!
Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
- 2 chicken breasts, on the bone, skin removed (about 26 oz total with bone)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, such as adobo
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Season the chicken with the adobo and set aside while you prep all your vegetables.
- Heat a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, add the oil and the onions and celery and cook until soft and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, then add the garlic and dry spices and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes, then add the sweet potato and kale and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, shred or cut up and discard the bones.
- Return to the pot, discard the jalapeno and serve the soup into 6 bowls.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
190 comments on “Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup”
Well, it’s on the stove now. I don’t care for boiled meat, so I browned the chicken in a bit of oil, then after cooling, chopped it into bite-size pieces. Have only tasted the broth, and in about 20 more minutes will check on it. Going to ask my husband if he would like me to cook it longer so the sweet potato is softer.
Best soup ever!! I add a squeeze of lime at the end..
This is my absolute best go to soup all year round. Delicious and so good for you!
I love this soup it is very flavorful. I have made it many times. 😊😊
I thought this was a tasty soup! I used boneless breasts and cooked in the Instant Pot. 12 minutes HP, then 5 minutes NR. After quick release, I removed the chicken to shred, added the kale, then HP for 1 minute, then QR. Only issue was the potatoes lost their shape, but I was okay with that. It kind of thicken up the broth.
This soup was excellent. I replaced regular jalapeno with tame pickled jalapeno.
also a shake of chalula hot sauce in my bowl with a small amount of cojito cheese.
I made may own broth with left over roasted chicken carcass
I added more kale carrots and onion.
This is absolutely one of my favorites! It’s my go to when I’m feeling down or just need something light but filling. I replace the kale with spinach and it’s so good!!
This soup is DELICIOUS! Healthy but HEARTY!! I like to call it my “health soup” – you just feel so good eating it! Even better on the second day. Skinnytaste does it again! Thanks GINA!!