Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Zucchini Lasagna is a delicious, low-carb, wheat-free and gluten-free lasagna that’s loaded with vegetables, it’s SOOO good you won’t miss the pasta!
I’ve made this dish a gazillion times and even shared it in my first cookbook! One of the biggest challenges I tried to figure out was how to avoid the casserole dish from being watery once it was cooked. I don’t like to give up, so I tested this over and over again until I got it perfect!
Here’s a few tips on how do you make perfect zucchini lasagna:
- Start by cutting the zucchini ribbons which replace the noodles in this dish. You will need a mandolin (affiliate link) fitted with adjustable thickness settings to cut the zucchini into thin 1/8th inch thick ribbons, it’s quick and easy but please be careful you don’t cut yourself.
- Since zucchini tends to be very watery, grilling it first is a must (I use my grill pan). After it’s grilled, I leave it on paper towels to soak up extra water while I make the sauce.
- I take this a step further and leave it uncovered in the oven while it bakes for half of the bake time, which lets the heat from the oven dry out any more moisture. The results are worth the extra steps, don’t skip them!
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy:
Watch the video:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium, 8 ounces each zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 large egg
- 16 oz 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked drain in colander to remove any fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40minutes, covered. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8" thick slices, add lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat a gas grill or grill pan to medium high, and grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until slightly browned. Place on paper towels to soak any excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9x12 casserole spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. The last layer top with remaining zucchini and sauce, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 20 minutes (to dry up the sauce) then place the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 - 10 minutes before serving.