Make a healthier vegetarian version of your favorite take-out with this Asian edamame fried rice, an easy side dish!
Asian Edamame Fried Rice
Fried rice is one of my favorite foods to order!! Here I made a healthy vegetarian fried rice with edamame for protein that makes the perfect side dish for anything you’re making. Try it with this tofu stir fry, or this Kung Pao Tofu recipe.
How To Make Vegetarian Fried Rice
For this healthy vegetarian version of fried rice, I used leftover brown rice, edamame, carrots, scallions and onions. The beauty about making it yourself is you can add anything you want. If you want to make this a main dish you can add a protein such as chicken, shrimp or even tofu to keep it vegetarian. If you don’t have leftover rice or want to take the time to make it, I LOVE Trader Joe’s frozen (unseasoned) brown rice. It comes in a box with 3 packets (2 cups each) of par-cooked rice. It’s ready in 3 minutes and is perfect every time.
Edamame, in case you’re not familiar with them are green soybean sold shelled or in the pod in most supermarkets both frozen or ready-to-eat – my two year is crazy about them! I like to buy the shelled ready-to-eat for convenience.
More Fried Rice Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
- Brown Fried Rice
- Quinoa Fried Rice
- Thai Chicken Fried Rice
- House Special Fried Rice
Edamame Fried Rice
- 3 cups leftover cooked brown rice
- 2 egg whites, scrambled
- 1 whole egg, scrambled
- 1 tbsp Smart Balance oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 scallions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- cooking spray
- 1 cup ready-to-eat shelled edamame
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce, tamari for gluten free (or more to taste)
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Whisk eggs and egg whites, season with salt and pepper.
- In a hot wok, spray a little oil and cook the eggs.
- When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Let the wok get really hot.
- Add oil and cook onions, scallion whites, carrots and garlic for about 30-60 seconds, careful not to burn.
- Add brown rice and stir well a few minutes to heat through.
- Add cooked egg along with soy sauce, scallion greens and edamame, mixing well for about 3-4 minutes.