Baby Pasta Shells with Asparagus and Marinara Sauce is a quick and easy 4-ingredient pasta dish, perfect for Spring. Ready in under 15 minutes and under ten dollars to make.
Pasta with Asparagus and Marinara Sauce
A light vegetarian pasta dish the whole family will enjoy using pantry staples like pasta and marinara. You can use any small pasta shape you wish or swap the pasta for farro.
Asparagus is in season, and I’m probably the only one in my house who truly loves it, so to get everyone else on board requires some work (or sneaking into their food). Chopping it real small and combining it with cute little pasta shells which hug each bite of asparagus works perfect in my house!
Having a toddler and a teenager in the house, I try to come up with quick and healthy, well-balanced meals everyone will enjoy because making separate dishes is not an option in my house. I always have marinara sauce on hand to use throughout the week. I make large batches of it and freeze the rest in portions in zip-lock bags. You can make a double batch of this sauce to use for other recipes throughout the week or freeze it for a later time. This recipe requires having cooked marinara sauce on hand, jarred or homemade marinara.
More Easy Pasta Recipes:
- Spaghetti with Butternut Leak Parmesan Sauce
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe
- Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Baby Pasta Shells with Asparagus and Marinara Sauce
- 8 ouncea baby pasta shells, or small gluten free pasta
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 1/2 cups quick marinara sauce, or jarred
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Boil about 4 inches of water in a large pot, when boiling add asparagus and cook about 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Drain and chop into small bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (you can use the same pot from the asparagus not to dirty too many dishes). Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, in a medium saucepan heat 1-1/2 cups marinara sauce.
- Drain pasta and RESERVE a cup of the pasta water.
- Return pasta back to the pot and toss with marinara, asparagus, grated cheese, salt and pepper and a 1/4 cup of the pasta water or as needed to loosen the sauce.
- Divide between four bowls and top with fresh pepper and more grated cheese if desired.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.