Blackened Chicken over a flavorful chickpea fiesta salad with fresh corn, tomatoes, avocado and lime juice. A quick and easy weeknight dish!
Blackened Chicken Fiesta Salad
I love blackened seasoning, it’s great over chicken but also wonderful over salmon like this Blackened Salmon with Mango dish and these Blackened Scallops with Horseradish Sauce! I also love these Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw using cod.
Turning this into a salad makes for the perfect light summer lunch or dinner. You can also serve this with rice or quinoa. The chicken is mildly spicy, you can increase the cayenne if you like it really hot. Blackening the chicken works best on a cast iron skillet tot give it that nice char, before putting in the oven to finish cooking. This recipe serves 4 and the portions are very generous. I actually couldn’t finish the entire chicken breast. If you want to pack leftovers for lunch, you can leave the avocado out and add it just before serving. This dish is high in protein, gluten free and ready under 30 minutes.
What does it mean to blacken chicken?
Blackening meat is a cooking technique that requires a combination of the use of spice, typically a Cajun herb blend, and a well cooked char of the spices to create a crust. This is usually done with chicken, meat or firm types of fish. What is the difference between grilled and blackened chicken? The seasoning blend is the key part to blackening any meat, with out it, it is simply charred or grilled.
How To Make Blackened Chicken
More chicken breast recipes you will love:
- Perfect Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Korean Grilled Chicken Breast
- Mustard Herb Chicken Breasts
- Stuffed Chicken Breast with Prosciutto, Pears, and Brie
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breast
Blackened Chicken Fiesta Salad
For the salad:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh cooked corn, from 1 large ear
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 oz diced avocado, 1 small haas
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, lime juice, oil, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt.
- Add the chickpeas, corn, tomato, onion and cilantro; mix well.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes until it is smoking hot.
- Mix together the paprika, salt, cayenne, cumin, thyme, and garlic powder. Spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray on both sides, then coat the chicken breasts evenly with the spice mixture.
- Place the chicken in the hot skillet, and cook for 1 minute. Turn, and cook 1 minute on other side. Transfer to the oven and bake until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear and a thermometer reads 165F inserted in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. Slice chicken.
- When ready to eat, gently mix avocado into the salad, top with chicken and serve right away.