I’m sharing my Best Burger Recipes for grilling season and beyond. From juicy turkey burgers to satisfying veggie burgers, beef burgers, salmon burgers, and more, these healthy homemade burgers are ready for all your cookouts!
My Favorite Easy Burger Recipes
Nothing says summer like a nice, juicy hamburger. There are so many ways to prepare hamburgers at home that are easy to make and, yes, healthy for you! Whether you’re grilling at the weekend cookout, frying up your hamburgers in a skillet, or baking them in the oven, rest assured that there’s a recipe here that you can tuck into, guilt-free.
I’ve rounded up my favorite recipes for the juiciest hamburgers below. From lean turkey burgers to beef burgers to veggie burgers that win over the staunchest meat-lovers, and some fun twists that I just know you’re going to want to make on repeat.
Why You’ll Love These Burger Ideas
There’s no shortage of love for homemade burgers in our house. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Homemade. There’s nothing like making your own hamburgers at home. The freshness, the customization, the different burger options: everything is at your fingertips. I have plenty of easy recipes, from meat-filled to meat-free.
- Healthier. I love biting into a big, juicy hamburger knowing that it’s good for me, too! These recipes use healthy ingredients, and they even include some sneaky veggies.
- Perfect for summer. Grilling season is here, and these homemade hamburger recipes are ready for it. There’s a recipe here to satisfy everyone at the cookout, all summer long.
Are Hamburgers Healthy?
That depends on the hamburger. The classic beef hamburgers you’ll find in restaurants, while delicious, aren’t exactly made with nutrition and carbs in mind. That being said, as long as you’re living a balanced lifestyle, it’s perfectly fine to indulge in the odd steakhouse burger without having much of an impact.
I love making hamburger patties at home, though. Not only can I better control what goes into them, but I can also make easy swaps with leaner alternatives that are just as tasty, like ground turkey, veggie burgers, and even salmon burgers.
You might be wondering, are turkey burgers healthier than beef? In fact, both types of ground meat are excellent sources of protein, minerals, and vitamins whether you’re making turkey meatloaf or beef chili. According to Healthline, if they share the same fat percentage, both turkey and beef are about the same in the calorie department. However, turkey is lower in saturated fat, which makes it better for heart health and weight loss. You’ll notice that ground turkey is my go-to in many of the healthy hamburger recipes below!
What Is the Secret to the Best Burger?
I’ve made a lot of hamburger recipes and veggie burgers over the years. One thing I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t take much to make a good burger! But there are a few key components that make a great hamburger recipe:
- Moisture – Ground meat cooks quickly, so amping up moisture is key. Mixing diced veggies like onions, carrots, and even zucchini (my personal hack) into the burger meat can go a long way toward a juicy burger.
- Flavor – Seasoning is key! Make sure your patties, whether they’re meaty or meatless, are well-seasoned as this plays a big role in making the perfect hamburger. And you don’t need anything fancy, even seasoning the burger liberally with salt and pepper does the trick.
- Binding Ingredients – Take a page from homemade meatballs and use an egg plus breadcrumbs to bind your burgers and help them keep their shape. This is especially handy if you’re using leaner meats, like turkey, or if you’re including add-ins like onions.
- Heat – High heat is a must when cooking burgers. Getting a good sear on the outside locks in moisture and flavor. The best way to cook burgers is always the grill, but if you’re using a pan, make sure it’s cast iron.
What Can I Add to My Hamburger Recipes?
Many of the hamburger recipes below come with their own add-in suggestions, but here are a few ideas to get you inspired in the meantime:
- Veggies – Top your patties with leafy lettuce, spinach, tomato slices, onions, and pickles.
- Cheese – For the best cheeseburger, choose a melty cheese like American cheddar or Swiss cheese.
- Sauces and Dressings – We love DIY hamburger condiments like this homemade spicy chipotle ketchup or homemade blue cheese dressing.
- Salsa – Give your burgers a Tex-Mex twist topped with salsa verde.
What to Serve with Burgers
Looking to turn your homemade hamburgers into a meal? Try these healthy sides to eat with burgers:
- Fries – A classic side dish. We love our burgers paired with seasoned oven fries or air fryer sweet potato fries.
- Salad – No cookout is complete without a side of homemade potato salad or my lightened-up macaroni salad. I also love to serve my burgers “naked” (without the bun), over a bed of fresh leaves.
- Grilled Veggies – Serve with grilled zucchini or grilled potatoes.
- Coleslaw – Try this quick cabbage slaw served on the side.
20 Homemade Burgers to Try Tonight
Ready for some delicious homemade hamburger ideas? Just wait until you sink your teeth into these easy, healthy hamburger recipes.
More Easy Summer Meals
Looking for more summer recipes, grilling ideas, and healthy dinners to try this season? My recipe finder is choc-full of inspiration.