Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
Last year I fell in love with creamy butternut squash as a pasta sauce and have had this on my mind ever since. Now that the Fall is here it was the perfect time to play around with this idea. You may also enjoy these Spinach Lasagna Rolls Ups and this gluten-free Noodle-less Butternut Squash Chicken Sausage Lasagna.
They turned out as good as I could have imagined, even my teen daughter who is pretty picky loved these! And, they are meatless so they’re perfect for meatless Mondays. Use gluten free noodles to make them gluten free or whole wheat for added whole grain. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash and Spinach Lasagna Rolls
For the Butternut Parmesan Sauce:
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Lasagna:
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked (use gluten free noodles for gluten free)
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, heated and squeezed well
- 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese, I like Polly-o
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- salt and fresh pepper
- 9 tbsp about 3 oz part skim shredded Italian Blend Cheese (I used Sargento)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add butternut squash and cook until soft.
- Remove squash with a slotted spoon, reserve about 1 cup of the water and set aside, then blend until smooth with an immersion blender, adding 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid to thin out.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep non-stick skillet, add the oil, sauté the shallots and garlic over medium-low heat until soft and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add pureed butternut squash, season with with salt and fresh cracked pepper and add a little more of the reserved water to thin out to your liking. Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup butternut sauce sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry.
- Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Ladle about 1 cup of sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp Italian cheese blend.
- Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts and everything is hot and bubbly. Top with parsley and serve.
- To serve, ladle a little extra sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.