This hearty cabbage soup with chicken, pork and lots of vegetables is a simple one pot meal. Great comfort food for a cold winter night and loaded with veggies!
I spent the weekend with my cousin Katia and she put together this amazing soup. Made with a few simple ingredients she had on hand, it filled the kitchen with the aroma of comfort food.
Cabbage Soup with Chicken and Pork
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound country style pork ribs boneless
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large chicken bouillon such as Knorr
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium head cabbage chopped (about 9 cups)
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 2 large leeks chopped (whites only)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1.5 oz brandy omit if you don't drink alcohol
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric or achiote such as Sazon optional for color
- Chop meat into small chunks.
- In a large pot, combine chicken, pork, water and bouillon, bay leaves and cumin and bring to a boil, then simmer about 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the vegetables and remaining ingredients.
- Reduce to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.