Best Chicken Burger Recipe
If you’re in the mood for a burger but trying to eat less red meat, you will love this lighter Chicken Burger. They’re made with ground chicken and some hidden spinach that makes them incredibly moist, but you can’t taste it! Even better, there’s no need for breadcrumbs! Make it a meal with coleslaw and air fryer sweet potato fries! More of my favorite healthy burger recipes are these Turkey Burgers with Zucchini, Salmon Quinoa Burgers, and Chicken Parmesan Burgers.
This juicy chicken burger recipe is from the new cookbook Meal Prep Magic: Time-Saving Tricks for Stress-Free Cooking by Catherine McCord. Catherine shows you how to prep meals in advance or make them entirely ahead with delicious recipes, like Raspberry Creamy Chia Pudding, Salad Jars, and Lemony Chicken Thighs.
“I have a secret for you, but you must promise to keep it to yourself: Fresh spinach is what makes these chicken burgers magnificently moist. Additionally, for anyone in your house who is averse to greens, they won’t taste the spinach at all. This recipe also avoids the need for breadcrumbs or other fillers, making these burgers naturally gluten-free. Sandwich them in your go-to burger bun, or if you want to double down on the health benefits, wrap each burger in lettuce for a super satisfying, carb-free meal.”Catherine McCord, Author
Are chicken burgers healthy?
Ground chicken burgers are healthier than beef burgers since they are lower in calories and saturated fats and have plenty of protein. Plus, these juicy chicken burgers have spinach as their secret ingredient, which make them moist while adding fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Chicken Burger Ingredients
- Chicken: Buy 1 ½ pounds of ground chicken.
- Spinach: Finely chop a cup of fresh spinach.
- Spices: Garlic and onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper
- Herbs: Used dried thyme, mixed Italian herbs, or sage.
- Buns: My go-to hamburger buns are martin’s or these low-carb 647 rolls from Old Tyme, but use whatever you can find.
- Burger Toppings: Some optional toppings are sliced avocado, tomato,
How to Make Chicken Burgers
- Make the Chicken Patties: Combine the chicken, spinach, and spices in a large bowl. Mix everything with your hands and form five flattened patties.
- Cook the Burgers: Heat a large sauté pan, griddle, or grill pan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil, and cook the patties on each side for four to five minutes.
- Assemble: Place a patty on each bottom bun with any desired toppings and then top with the second part of the bun.
What to Serve with Chicken Burgers
- Traditional: Chicken burgers go great with Seasoned Fries, Sweet Potato Fries, or Onion Rings with Homemade Ketchup or Spicy Chipotle Ketchup.
- Other Potatoes: Try these Grilled Potatoes or Red Potato Salad if you want potatoes but not fries.
- Veggie Fries: These Parmesan Asparagus Fries, Zucchini Sticks, or Cauliflower Tots are perfect with burgers.
- Lighter Options: Serve the burgers with Coleslaw, Broccoli Salad, Raw Beet Salad, and Corn Tomato Avocado Salad.
How to Store Chicken Burgers
Cool the burgers and refrigerate for up to three days. Here are three ways to reheat leftovers:
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Heat over low to medium heat in a saucepan for a minute or two on each side.
- Air fry at 350°F for two minutes.
How to Meal Prep Chicken Burgers
I love stocking my freezer with burgers, so I always have a fast dinner on hand if I don’t have time to cook. You can even double the batch if you want more.
Here’s how to freeze the raw patties:
- Place the uncooked burgers on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for an hour.
- Put the meat in a labeled zip-top bag.
- To defrost, transfer the bag to the refrigerator overnight and then cook as directed.
- Protein: Swap ground chicken for 93% lean ground turkey.
- Spices: Add a teaspoon of your favorite spice, like harissa, smoked paprika, or chili flakes, for even more flavor.
- Grilled Chicken Burgers: Cook the burgers on a clean, oiled grill over medium heat for about five minutes on each side.
- Leftovers: Switch up your leftovers and serve the meat crumbled over rice or another grain or wrap them in lettuce wraps.
More Burger Recipes You’ll Love
- Broccoli Rabe Turkey Burgers
- Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Aloha Teriyaki Shrimp Burgers
- Portobello Burger with Mozzarella and Pesto Mayo
Chicken Burger Recipe
- 1½ pounds ground chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, mixed Italian herbs, or sage
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil spray
- 5 low-calorie hamburger buns, toasted
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, sliced tomato, raw or sautéed onions
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, spinach, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, mix the ingredients until combined and form into 5 flattened patties.
- Heat a large sauté pan, griddle or grill pan over medium-low heat. Spray with oil and place the patties in the pan.
- Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Place a patty on each bottom bun, add any of your desired toppings, and then top with the second part of the bun.