Dairy Free Lemon Pudding
This dairy-free, low-fat lemon pudding is a thing of dreams! Bold in rich flavor but not in calories and is made with a secret ingredient … Cauliflower! Crazy? I know!
Please welcome today’s guest poster and holistic nutritionist, Leanne Vogul of Healthful Pursuit.
Hi Everyone, I’m pretty excited to be sharing this recipe with you today but first, let’s chat about dairy!
Many of us are allergic to it, sensitive to it, or have developed a love hate relationship with it. We eat, we enjoy, our stomachs hurt, our complexion suffers, but we just can’t imagine a life without the good stuff.
Taking the dairy-free lifestyle for a test drive or committing to it because of sensitivities can be a challenge… but it doesn’t have to be this way! After a decade of being dairy-free and learning what it takes to thrive on the diet, I created the Done with Dairy Toolkit a (free) guide to living dairy-free with loads of dairy-free recipes and health tips from yours truly.
When I’m in a crunch and need some dairy-free inspiration, I turn to the toolkit and my problem is solved!
One of my favorite tricks to making a healthy, dairy-free, Skinnytaste approved dessert is to use cauliflower in place of thick creams and added starches.
I know what you’re thinking, ‘cauliflower in dessert?’ YES! If you flavor it just right; with things like vanilla extract, lemon or orange zest, chocolate or citrus juice, you do not taste the cauliflower one little bit. All you have is smooth, creamy, sweet goodness.
Skeptical? I have just the recipe that will prove that dairy-free doesn’t mean that you have to be gnawing on cardboard, or giving up your favorite low-fat treats. This pudding is impressively low in fat, rich in flavor, highly creamy, and under 130 calories per serving. Crazy, right?
Let’s get right down to business!
Important Notes from Leanne –
Make sure you weigh your cauliflower or, if you don’t have a scale, only roughly chop the florets, measure and then cook.
If you do not have a powerful blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix, opt to finely grind your cauliflower before cooking so that it is easier to puree.
Leanne Vogel is a holistic nutritionist and the girl behind the healthy living blog, Healthful Pursuit.
Whether you’re sensitive to dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, grains, or sugar,
or are just interested in eating healthy, Leanne’s fun and simple
healthy recipes; of which she has more than 550 on her blog, are a great
resource for everyone.
Dairy-free Lemon Pudding
This dairy-free, low-fat lemon pudding is a thing of dreams! Bold in rich flavor but not in calories and is made with a secret ingredient … Cauliflower!
- 3 cups (350 grams) of roughly chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add cauliflower, almond milk, sugar, extract and zest to a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat, uncovered.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes, until cauliflower is very soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in lemon juice and pour into the bowl of your food processor or blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute, or until very smooth.
- Pour into a clean bowl and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, for at least 18 hours.
- Refrigeration helps the bold lemon flavor subside and really transforms this pudding. Do not skip this step!
- Feel free to use any type of non-dairy milk you have on hand. I like using unsweetened almond milk for my dessert recipes because it’s naturally sweeter (and lower in fat and carbs) than other non-dairy milks.
- Any type of sugar would work here. White, brown, coconut sugar…
Yield: 2 servings , Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 127.5 calories
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 142mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 13.5g
- Protein: 4g
Author bio: Leanne Vogel is a holistic nutritionist on a pursuit of self-discovery through allergen-free recipes, travel, yoga and inward reflection. During her trip to India last year, Leanne was inspired to cut the extra baggage out of her life, embrace her true self and begin to live authentically. After returning home, she quit her highly successful corporate job and moved across the country, all in pursuit of the life she’d always dreamed of. You can find Leanne living out her healthy journey as she documents her latest kitchen adventures on her blog, www.healthfulpursuit.com.
Connect with Leanne