Golden egg yolks mingle with tomatoes, green chiles and cheese over a crispy corn tortilla for breakfast… what can be better! Low fat, naturally gluten-free and vegetarian (perfect for meatless mondays).
With Cinco de Mayo on the Horizon, I thought I would share this easy recipe, that I love to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
My friend Deysi taught me how to make this savory authentic Mexican recipe, and I’m glad she did because it was such a wonderful change from the usual egg dishes and it’s really easy to make. You can also serve this with sliced avocados on the side. Buen Provecho!
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles, such as Old El Paso
- olive oil spray
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 4 6 inch corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 12 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 tbsp crumbled cotija cheese, or queso blanco
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add onions and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chilies, cumin, salt and black pepper to taste and cook another few minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- In another medium non-stick pan or griddle, lightly spray the tortillas with oil on both sides and heat over medium-high heat until the tortillas gets crispy and pockets or air bubbles start to form inside, abour 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and lightly spray with more oil, add eggs, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the whites set for sunny-side up or longer for your liking.
- To serve, place 2 tortillas on each plate, top with half of the tomatoes, 2 eggs, lettuce, cheese and cilantro.