This foolproof Instant Pot brown rice is so easy and makes perfect, flavorful brown rice every time!
Instant Pot Brown Rice
I shared this recipe for Instant Pot Rice using white rice a few weeks ago and got many questions about how to make it with brown, so I set out to make perfect brown rice with great texture and flavor in the Instant Pot. After testing a few times (seven to be exact), I ended up with the best Instant Pot Brown Rice recipe. Cooking brown rice in the Instant Pot is my new favorite method. If you’d rather make brown rice on the stove, I have instructions for that too!
Why You’ll Love This Brown Rice Recipe
- Perfect every time – If you struggle to make brown rice, this recipe is fool proof.
- Set it and walk away – You don’t have to attend to this, turn it on and go about your business. Once it shuts off the pressure naturally releases, the rice is ready.
- Flavorful – No bland rice, this is cooked with broth or bouillon to give it flavor. Of course, you can omit if needed.
- Great for meal prep – double or triple the recipe and refrigerate or freeze the rest.
- Inexpensive – making brown rice from scratch will save you money in the supermarket.
Why You’ll Love Making Brown Rice in the Instant Pot
- Meal Prep: Make it ahead and keep a batch in the refrigerator or freezer to use for the week.
- Foolproof: If you don’t have a rice cooker, you will love how easy it is to make in the pressure cooker.
- Healthy: Brown rice is a whole grain and a healthy, gluten-free side dish.
- Flavorful: This is a tasty recipe for brown rice.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Ingredients
- Olive Oil for sautéing the garlic
- Garlic: Crush two cloves.
- Brown Rice: Rinse 1 cup of long-grain brown rice. I like the Carolina brand. Brown basmati rice or short-grain brown rice can also be used.
- Liquid: You’ll need 1 ¼ cups of water. You can also use chicken or vegetable broth.
- Salt to season the rice
- Bouillon adds flavor, but if you use broth, you can skip it.
How to Cook Brown Rice in Instant Pot
- Rinse the rice in a mesh sieve under cold water.
- Saute Garlic: Push the “Sauté” button on your pressure cooker. Add one teaspoon of oil once the pot is hot and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and liquid: Stir in the brown rice, press “Cancel,” and add the water, salt, and bouillon.
- How Long to Cook Brown Rice: Lock the lid on the pot and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Then, use the natural release for 20 minutes, which means you don’t touch the lid until all the pressure releases from the pot naturally for the instructed time. The steam will finish cooking the rice
- Fluff rice: Then open the lid and fluff with a fork.
Brown rice is unrefined, so it has more fiber than white rice. Since it’s lower on the glycemic index, it generally won’t spike your blood sugar as much as white rice. Both types have similar amounts of protein and are packed with various vitamins and minerals.
The ratio of water to brown rice is 1 1/4 cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice. For 2 cups of rice, use 2 1/2 cups liquid.
One cup of uncooked brown rice makes approximately 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice. You can easily double or triple this recipe if you need to serve more people.
If it’s mushy, you may have added too much liquid. Be careful when measuring the water and rice to ensure perfectly cooked brown rice.
What goes well with brown rice?
Pressure cooker brown rice is excellent served with a protein and some veggies for healthy dinner ideas:
- Serve it with a few runny eggs and roasted vegetables for a simple meal.
- Rice and Beans: Use any of my bean recipes like my yummy quick black beans, Dominican Beans or Puerto Rican Beans and some pickled red onions.
- Chicken: Serve it with saucy dishes like Chicken Paprika Stew or Pollo Guisado.
- Meat: Bisteces a la Mexicana, Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Seafood: Cajun-Spiced Fish with Tomatoes, Cilantro Lime Shrimp, Baked Scallops
- Vegetables: Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower, Grilled Asparagus
You can also use it many other meals, like fried rice, over stir fries, and bowls:
- Fried Rice: Brown Thai-Inspired Fried Rice, Asian Edamame Fried Rice, Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
- With Stir Fries: Ground Beef and Broccoli, Orange Chicken, Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Rice Bowls: Spicy Canned Salmon Rice Bowl or Tuna Poke Bowl.
How to Meal Prep Brown Rice
This simple brown rice recipe is easy to whip up on a weekend to use throughout the week. Use it a different way each night, like as a side, grain bowl, or fried rice (Cold leftover rice is ideal for fried rice!). Leftover rice will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. Transfer it to freezer friendly containers and freeze for up to 3 months (see below). To reheat, microwave a few minutes until heated through.
Does brown rice freeze well?
Yes! Freezing brown rice is another fantastic way to meal prep since it’ll last up to three months in the freezer.
- Cool the brown rice in an even layer on a sheet pan.
- Single Servings: Store the rice in one-cup containers once it’s at room temperature.
- Larger Servings: You can also freeze the rice in quart zip-locked bags and press flat to save space.
- How to Reheat Brown Rice: Cover and microwave the frozen rice for about three minutes, or heat it on the stove if you’re adding it to dishes, like soups or stir fries.
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Unstuffed Cabbage Bowls
- Lentil Curry
- Instant Pot Risotto with Prosciutto, Peas, and Herbs
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
- Use sauté button on the pressure cooker, add 1 teaspoon oil and sauté the garlic, 30 seconds.
- Add the brown rice and stir, press cancel, and add the water, salt and bouillon.
- Stir well, then cover, lock the lid and cook on high pressure 20 minutes. Then use natural release for 20 minutes total (the steam will finish cooking the rice).