Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad with Tomatoes
Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad with Tomatoes makes a vibrant Spring pasta salad, perfect to bring to a potluck or to serve as a BBQ side dish.
Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad
Pearl couscous (otherwise known as Isreali couscous) is essentially perfectly round pasta with a delightful chewiness that’s ideal as a base for salads like this one! Here I tossed it with asparagus, tomatoes and lemon juice to make a vibrant Spring pasta salad that is perfect as a main dish or even to make as a side dish if you are grilling for Mother’s Day this weekend! Serve this with a Whole Roasted Chicken, Grilled Salmon Kabobs or Grilled Bourbon Chicken.
I’m not usually a fan of the taste of whole wheat pasta, but I don’t mind it at all when the pasta is a smaller. Orzo and pearl couscous are all delicious in pasta salads. When I use whole wheat I cook it a few minutes longer than I would if I eat it warm. I just adore it’s pearl shaped texture and also found it to be the perfect shape for my daughter when she started eating solid foods, years ago.
What to serve with Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad
Any protein would be great, here’s a few suggestions:
- Grilled Salmon Kabobs
- Whole Roasted Salmon
- Grilled Lamb Chops
- Whole Roasted Chicken
- Grilled Bourbon Chicken
This couscous salad can be eaten room temperature or chilled, and leftovers are great the next day for lunch. Refrigerate up to 3 days.
Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad with Tomatoes1
- 6 oz whole wheat pearl couscous
- 3/4 lb thin asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add asparagus and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon and rinse in a colander in the sink under cold water to stop it from cooking.
- Add the couscous to the boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- Chop the asparagus into small 1/2 inch pieces.
- Drain the couscous and rinse under cold water, place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped asparagus, tomatoes, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve room temperature or chilled.