There’s a great neighborhood Italian restaurant near my house that makes these amazing mussels the called Cozze Al Verde. Unfortunately they are loaded with butter and oil and the points are probably off the charts. I was inspired to remake this dish into a skinnier version and I think I succeeded. The basil sauce was creamy and flavorful. Serve this with some crusty bread to soak up the juice. Live mussels can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days in an open bowl to allow them to breath with a wet cloth on top. Discard any mussels that are cracked or not alive.
Mussels in Basil Cream Sauce
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 shallots minced
- 1 cloves garlic smashed and chopped PLUS
- 2 cloves garlic set aside
- 2 lbs live mussels
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- salt and fresh pepper
- Scrub and de-beard mussels in cold water.
- Discard any cracked or unopened shells.
- In a large pot melt butter.
- Add shallots and 1 clove chopped garlic and sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover until mussels open, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- When mussels are cooked, scoop them out with a slotted spoon.
- Discard any mussels that didn't open.
- Add 1/4 cup of ff half and half to the wine and simmer about 4 minutes.
- In a blender, puree basil, parmesan cheese, olive oil, remaining half & half and garlic.
- Add to cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer another few minutes.
- Pour over mussels.