Potatoes and parsnips mashed together with a little garlic, sour cream and butter make a surprisingly tasty side dish. The parsnips add a slightly sweet and spicy taste to the potatoes that I really enjoyed.
Potato Parsnip Mash
I had bought these parsnips the other day with no real plans for them, and decided I would try them mixed into my mashed potatoes. Parsnips, quite honestly are not a vegetable I grew up eating, so I never really know what to do with them. In the past, I’ve added them to stews and soups but I was pleasantly surprised how well they tasted mixed in with potatoes. My husband agreed, and they made a wonderful side dish to the roast beef I prepared in the oven, or even a roasted boneless leg of lamb. Another parsnip recipe I LOVE is this Broccoli Rabe, Sausage and Spiralized Parsnip recipe.
Hurricane Sandy is keeping most of us New Yorkers indoors today. So far I haven’t lost power so I figured I would share this recipe in case I do later (crossing fingers I won’t).
Do you have a favorite way you enjoy parsnips? Would love to hear how you prepare them!
More Mashed Potato Recipes:
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Chives
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Garlic Sweet Potato Mash
- Leftover Parmesan Mashed Potato Patties
- Cauliflower Mash
Potato Parsnip Mash
- 1 lbs russet, baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of black pepper
- Cover potatoes, parsnips and garlic with 1 inch of water in a 4 to 6-quart pot, then add sprig of rosemary and salt and bring to a boil, partially covered.
- Reduce heat and simmer vegetables, partially covered, until very tender but not falling apart, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Drain vegetables in a colander.
- Discard rosemary and mash warm vegetables along with sour cream, butter, pepper, and remaining pinch of salt, to taste; stir to combine well.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.