Pumpkin Banana Bread
This Fall pumpkin banana bread is basically my Banana Nut Bread recipe which is a deliciously moist bread and I improvised it with the pumpkin and spices.
This came out super moist and we had a difficult time waiting for it to cool because it smelled so good! We scoffed up half this bread before I got a chance to photograph it. This was wonderful topped with some Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese! I also have a Pumpkin Bread with Pepitas (Seeds) and Pumpkin Nut Muffins.
Baking is truly a science. Remaking cakes and breads to make them healthier is not always as easy as remaking a pot of soup or a casserole. So whenever I am experimenting with baking, my fingers are crossed the whole time.
Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
- Pam baking spray
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves*
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg*
- 3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional, 5 pts+ per slice if using
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg whites, egg, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add flour mixture and nuts (if using), then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.