Quick and Delicioso Cuban Style Black Beans
Cuban Style Black Beans
Get your Latin groove on with these Cuban inspired black beans, loaded with mucho sabor (lots of flavor)! Easy to make and ready in 20 minutes, but don’t let that fool you, there is plenty of flavor in these beans. Healthy, high in fiber, vegetarian, gluten free, inexpensive and delicioso!
I love to mix and match Latin dishes from different Central and South American countries to create dishes with Latin fusion. Try this with some of my Latin favorites such as Cilantro Lime Rice, Barbacoa Beef, Sweet Barbacoa Pork, Mexican Slow Cooked Pork Carnitas, Slow Cooked Pernil, and Pollo Sabroso, to name a few.
This is my go to recipe for busy weeknights when I don’t have time to make beans from the dried bag. Tommy loves this dish so I make them quite often. My favorite is serving this over rice but you can also serve over quinoa or alone with a protein.
More Bean Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Dominican Beans (Habichuelas Guisadas)
- Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Brown Sugar Baked Beans
- Mediterranean Bean Salad
Quick Cuban Style Black Beans
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 15 oz can black beans, do not drain (I prefer Goya)
- 1/2 cup water, or more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- few pinches cumin, to taste
- pinch oregano
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop onion, garlic, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro in a mini chopper of food processor.
- Add oil to a medium-sized pot on medium heat.
- Add vegetables to the pot and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, water, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover, simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally (adjust water as needed).
- Taste for salt and serve.