Sauteed spinach combined with rice makes a delicious side dish I just can’t get enough of!
This is one of those side dishes I make when I need to go shopping and don’t have much left in my refrigerator. I always keep frozen spinach on hand for emergencies.
Rice with Spinach
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- 1 chicken or vegetable bullion, cube
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp butter
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- fresh grated cheese, optional
- In a small heavy pot, melt the butter. Add rice and saute about 1 minute.
- Add the water and boullion cube and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan, heat olive oil. Add garlic and saute until golden.
- Add spinach and a pinch of salt, mixing well for about 4 minutes.
- Toss rice with spinach and top with good grating cheese like Pecorino Romano.