This EASY Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is made with thin sliced boneless chicken cutlets, lightly pan fried then topped with ham and Swiss in a light Lemon-Dijon Sauce. No rolling!
Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
An easy weeknight chicken dish your family will LOVE! I love making Chicken Cordon Bleu which I usually bread, roll and bake. But I wanted something quick with the same ingredients and came up with this – lazy chicken cordon bleu made all in one skillet. This is great with roasted veggies or you can serve this with rice pilaf.
When I was a kid, my Mom learned how to make Chicken Cordon Bleu in a cooking class she took. Like me, she always loved to cook. I loved that dish so much I used to ask her to make it for me weekly, which she breaded and fried.
I don’t believe you have to give up the foods you love because you’re trying to eat healthier. This healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe has the same flavors and ingredients as the stuffed, deep-fried version, without the frying and breading, and it takes a fraction of the time to make which makes this a weeknight dinner win!
What side dishes go good with chicken cordon bleu?
You’ll want your chicken dish to be the star of the show, so keep the sides simple. Serve it with brown rice or keep it low-carb with roasted vegetables such as asparagus, Roasted Broccoli with Smashed Garlic, or Roasted Parmesan Green Beans.
How To Make Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
More Skillet Recipes:
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Southwest Chicken Skillet
- Cheesy Chicken and Veggie Rice
- Skillet Chicken in Tomato Chipotle Sauce
- Skillet Chicken with Bacon and Green Beans
Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 thin boneless, skinless cutlets, 4 oz each
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 thin slices low sodium deli ham, I use Boar’s Head (3 oz total)
- 4 slices light Swiss Cheese such as Alpine Lace, 3 oz total
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- * All purpose gluten-free flour works well here.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dredge the chicken with flour on both sides, shaking off the excess reserving the flour.
- In a small bowl combine the chicken broth, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon of the reserved flour, whisk until smooth.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter and add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and half of the chicken.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side, until slightly golden, then transfer to a dish.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and remaining chicken and cook 2 minutes on each side.
- Set aside on a dish with the other pieces of chicken.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken broth mixture. Whisk scraping up any bits stuck to the pan then simmer 2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, top each piece with a slice of ham and a slice of swiss, cover the skillet and simmer medium-low for 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese melts.
- To serve use a spatula and transfer the chicken to each dish, spoon the remaining sauce over each piece.
328 comments on “Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu”
I am planning on making this tomorrow. My chicken breasts are not this thin- how would you adjust cooking time? After browning them, should I put them in the oven to cook a little longer and finishing in the pan?
This was quick, easy and delicious. Now part of our rotation. I appreciate the skinnytaste recipes. I don’t have to make food just for me while watching my figure.
Easy to make and a family pleaser! I will be making this one again. Great flavor!!!
Made this exactly according to the recipe. Quick and easy too! Would double the sauce next time because it’s so yummy. It was scrumptious and my family loved it! Thanks for another awesome recipe.
So easy to make, and a family favorite! The sauce was so simple, yet flavorful!
I LOVE Skinnytaste recipes. Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of the recipes I turn to time and again. If you have not tried it start cooking you will not regret it :o)
Very good recipe. Easy to prepare. Family enjoyed very much and would have it again. Nice flavor!
This one is a KEEPER!!!!!!! Great taste and SO EASY!!!!! Will definitely add to my weekly rotation!!! Everyone LOVED it! Great flavor!!!
I made this for dinner and it was great. I had everything to make it (which is a huge deal for me). It was light and tasty. The olive oil and butter together was a great idea. This will be a regular fare for us going forward. So easy and taste great. I paired with roasted asparagus.
A lot of recipes that say they are quick to make are anything but. Even a ST recipe I made last night that was supposed to take 30 min to make took me well over an hour when prep was taken into account. This is a truly easy and fast dish to make. There is almost no prep involved so it can be done in 20 minutes from start to finish.
I cooked this pretty much exactly as written and it was flavorful and juicy. The only part that gave me a little pause was that once cooked, the ham slips off the chicken very easily because there is nothing binding it to the chicken. I might add a little square of cheese before placing the ham next time to help with that, but other than that I was a fan of this. My 5 year old son was a fan too!
This recipe is a family favorite! I’m wondering if there is a way to make this in to a freezer meal that we can share with other families when they have a need. Any tips on how that might work?
Absolutely fantastic I will make this again and tell all
my WW friends. Once again Gina has knocked it out
of the park. This is just another very tasty recipe I’ve tried
from Skinny Taste. Thank you Gina for all your hard work.
Absolutely delicious. Made it exactly as written. Definitely a keeper