I lightened up this popular French chicken dish known as Poulet Au Vinaigre, which is made with chicken thighs and shallots cooked in red wine vinegar and white wine.
Poulet Au Vinaigre
Red wine vinegar gives it an intense, tangy flavor, that mellows as it simmers. Shallots are similar to onions, and are always a staple in my house along with onions and garlic. They can transform any ordinary dish and make it extraordinary. The ease of this dish makes it perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
This recipe is adapted from Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking (affil link) by Paula Wolfert. This dish ALWAYS gets rave reviews. To lighten the dish from the original, I used skinless boneless chicken thighs, and replaced the créme fraîche with light sour cream. I didn’t have a clay pot, but using a Dutch oven worked out great.
Tips and Variations:
- Use bone in, skinless thighs or legs and increase the cook time by 5 to 10 minutes.
- Swap the sour cream for yogurt, if desired.
- To make this in the slow cooker, sear the chicken, saute the shallots and add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, cook on low 6 to 8 hours, then stir in the sour cream.
- If you wish, you can add vegetables along with the chicken such as carrots, potatoes and mushrooms.
More Chicken Dishes You Make Enjoy:
- Turmeric Braised Chicken with Beets and Leeks
- Baked Chicken Enchiladas
- Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Leeks
- Pollo in Pottacchio
- Braised Chicken in Tomatillos
Chicken Thighs with Shallots in Red Wine Vinegar (Poulet Au Vinaigre)
- 32 oz 8 lean and trimmed boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, honey, 3/4 cup chicken broth and tomato paste. Boil about 5 minutes, until it reduces down to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat and add chicken. Cook on both sides, until brown, about 6-8 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the skillet and cook on low until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the skillet and pour the sauce over the chicken, add the wine, remaining broth, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes until tender.
- Remove the chicken, add sour cream and stir into the sauce (if sauce dries up, add more broth). Boil a few minutes then return chicken to skillet. Top with fresh parsley.