100% grass-fed buffalo burgers with melted cheddar jack cheese and pico de gallo wedged in between two whole wheat tortillas.
This was inspired by a lunch I had at Applebee’s, although this sandwich is far leaner! Sure, you can make this with lean beef, turkey or even use veggie burgers, but I wanted a fun way to introduce my first buffalo recipe on Skinnytaste.
Did you know that 100% grass-fed meat is leaner than grain-fed meat? The benefits of eating wild buffalo are that it’s hormone-free and antibiotic-free, it tastes just like beef only sweeter and it’s much leaner. Because the meat is so lean, you have to cook it for less time than you would a fattier ground beef burger or it will become dry and overcooked.
You can make the pico de gallo yourself, but I cheated and used a pre-made organic brand for convenience. Look for small fajita sized whole wheat tortillas, I used La Banderita which were 2 points plus for two tortillas and I actually took a scissor and trimmed it a bit smaller to fit my burger better, but that’s totally optional!
Skinny Buffalo Burger Quesadilla
- 1 lb 100% lean grass-fed ground buffalo
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar jack cheese, Sargento
- 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas, cut smaller if desired (La Banderita)
- spray oil
- salt and fresh pepper
- Form 4 flat patties, as thin as you can. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat; when hot, lightly spray the pan with oil and add the burgers.
- Cook burgers about 2 minutes on each side or to your liking. Set aside.
- Clean the pan and heat on medium heat. Lightly spray with oil and place 4 tortillas on the pan (if your pan is small, you can do one at a time).
- Place 2 tbsp cheese on each tortilla, then 2 tbsp pico de gallo.
- Top with buffalo burger, then remaining 2 tbsp pico de gallo and 2 tbsp cheese on each.
- Place the other tortilla on top; flip and cook until the cheese melts on the other side.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
*Nutritional info for the buffalo is based on 4 oz raw 100% grass fed buffalo from the SDSU Analytical Labs and USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory. Calories: 146.2, Fat: 5.2 g, Protein: 23.7 g, Carbs: 0.9 g, Sodium: 75.4 mg
95 comments on “Skinny Buffalo Burger Quesadilla”
I know you are updating all your recipes, but didn’t want you to forget this one!! 🙂
Pingback: Skinny Cheesy Hot Dog Quesadilla | Weight Watchers Lunch Recipes
Delicious! Thanks for the recipe 🙂
I have made this with two tortillas ILO pita. Very good!
What is the point value for the buffalo alone? I'm wanting to use lean ground beef instead and need to swap out the points. Thanks!!!!
This tastes so good. Haven't made a recipe I didn't like from this website.