These super moist hummingbird cupcakes are light, full of pineapple, chopped bananas, pecans, cinnamon and spices topped off with a sweet cream cheese frosting.
Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes
Instead of cupcakes, you can also make this recipe into a classic Hummingbird cake and increasing the bake time. These cupcakes are perfect for spring time or the Easter holiday. More Easter desserts I love are Easter Egg Cake Balls, Coconut Macaroon Egg Nests and Super Moist Carrot Cake.
Hummingbird cake first appeared in Southern Living Magazine back in 1978, originally submitted by Mrs. L.H. Wiggins of Greensboro, North Carolina and is known to have won numerous blue ribbons at county fairs. This skinny version does not disappoint! The flavors are reminiscent of a carrot cake, without the carrots and make the perfect Mother’s Day dessert!
How long do hummingbird cupcakes last?
Cupcakes can last up to 2 days. These are best eaten within the first 24 hours or you can store them in a closed container.
Can you freeze cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes but only without the frosting. Once baked, let cool to room temperature and in a storage bag or plastic wrap. Reheat in microwave.
More Spring Desserts you will love!
- Maple Pecan Cheesecake Shooters
- Banana Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Hot Cross Buns
- Honey Lemon Bars
- No-Bake Strawberries and Cream Crepe Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar, I used raw
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, drained well
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
For the Frosting:
- 8 oz 1/3-less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 22 pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add banana and pineapple; mix well.
- Fold wet ingredients and chopped pecans with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together.
- Spoon batter into cupcake tin. Bake at 350° for about 23 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- Spread frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled. Garnish each cupcake with a pecan half on top.