Loaded Nachos with Ground Turkey, Beans and Cheese
These Loaded Nachos with Turkey, Beans and Cheese are made with baked tortilla chips, lean ground turkey, black bean dip, cheese and pico de gallo.
Loaded Nachos with Turkey Beans and Cheese
Cinco De Mayo, or any day with these healthy loaded nachos loaded with protein and fiber. Using lean ground turkey mixed with flavorful black bean dip, this lighter recipe takes a classic appetizer that’s usually over 1200 calories in most chain restaurants, and makes them under 400 calories. I have hundreds of ground turkey recipes, it’s my favorite protein to use to lighten up some of my favorite dishes! You might also like my loaded Nacho Chicken Tostada or my Low-Carb Mini Bell Pepper Nachos.
I love nachos, who doesn’t? That being said, these lighter nachos don’t disappoint!! We had them for dinner but this is also great for lunch or as an appetizer. This recipe was inspired by Rocco Dispirito’s cookbook, Now Eat This. I made some adjustments to his original recipe and it was DELICIOUS. High in fiber and lower in fat and super easy to make.
How To Make Loaded Nachos Healthy
- Baked chips. Start with baked tortilla chips instead of fried as your base.
- Use lean protein such as lean ground turkey or chicken.
- Add beans for fiber. Here this uses a fat-free black bean dip which adds flavor without spending too much time cooking.
- Top it with a fresh element at the end. Pico de gallo is made with all fresh vegetables, lime juice and cilantro that adds tons of flavor, be sure you drain it so you don’t get your nachos soggy. To save time you can also buy it pre-made.
- Use less cheese. Don’t get me wrong, I love cheese but with all these toppings, it’s easy to use less and not miss it.
- Portion control. Weigh out your chips and bake each portion separate so you don’t eat double the portion.
Loaded Nachos with Turkey, Beans and Cheese
- 4 oz baked tortilla chips
- 8 oz 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fat-free spicy black bean dip, such as Desert Pepper Trading Company Black Bean Dip or Trader Joes
- 1 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place 1 oz (about 14 depending on the brand) chips on four oven-proof dishes or all 4ounces on one large baking sheet.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and season with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- When cooked, add the bean dip and mix well.
- Spoon the turkey mixture over the chips and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 6 minutes.
- Remove the nachos from the oven, top with pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro and jalepeños.
- Serve immediately.