Smoky BBQ Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Smoky BBQ Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, a fun twist on roasted pumpkin seeds that are healthy to snack on, or use them as a salad topper.
BBQ Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are such a healthy, low-calorie snack, so if you’re carving those jack-o-lanterns this week, rather then tossing them, roast them in the oven for a high-nutritive snack.
My favorite part about carving pumpkins is getting to eat the toasted seeds straight from the oven. You can simply toss them with salt and use this recipe as a guideline. (Madison loves them with garlic powder and salt). But if you want something with more flavor, try seasoning them with this smokey, spicy, savory combination. It just that mimics the flavor of BBQ potato chip seasoning. If I don’t finish them all I keep a small baggie in my purse any time I just want a little snack.
More ways I like to use my left over pumpkin seeds are making pumpkin seed encrusted Baked Tilapia. Or in a salad like my Baby Spinach Salad with roasted butternut squash, pumpkin seeds, gorgonzola and dried cherries.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Pumpkin Butternut Squash Bars
- Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Spicy BBQ Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds, unshelled
- 1 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 4 to 5 squirts olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and separate them from the stringy pulp and rinse the seeds in a colander under cold water.
- Shake off any excess water, spread the seeds on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes or until seeds are dry, tossing halfway through.
- In another small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and brown sugar.
- Place the seeds in a medium bowl and lightly spray with oil.
- Add 3/4 of the spice mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Evenly spread the seeds on a sheet pan covered with parchment and roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and crunchy, tossing half way through.
- Immediately spray more olive oil over the seeds and toss with the remaining spice mixture.