Spice Rubbed Grilled Salmon with Black Beans and Corn
Grilled salmon seasoned with a smokey rub served with a fresh black beans and corn salsa.
Grilled Salmon with Black Bean Salsa
These grilled salmon are steaks rubbed with a spicy blend of smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, brown sugar, cumin and cocoa powder served with a quick side dish of black beans, grilled corn, cilantro and splash of lime juice. An quick and easy summer dinner, ready in under 30 minutes. Don’t have a grill? A grill pan works too, or try this Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon recipe or any of these delicious salmon recipes instead.
You will love the spicy smoked flavors of the salmon paired with the sweet corn side with fresh lime and cilantro flavors. Fresh corn is best here, but if you have frozen that works fine too! This is a complete meal ready in less than 30 minutes.
Salmon is an excellent source of high-quality protein, containing all the essential amino acids and a good source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant. When buying salmon, I look for fresh or frozen sustainable wild options such as Alaskan salmon which is raised in pristine waters – it costs a little more but it’s leaner than farm raised because the fish are raised in the wild and get more exercise, the meat has a natural red color whereas farmed salmon is artificially colored. Coho, Chum and pink salmon have less fat than King and Sockeye varieties.
- If you prefer to make this low carb, swap the corn and beans out for diced avocado and cucumber or tomatoes.
- Don’t like Salmon? You can replace this with grilled swordfish or chicken.
Spiced Rubbed Grilled Salmon with Black Beans Corn Salsa
For the salmon:
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 6 oz Alaskan wild salmon fillets
- olive oil spray
- lime wedges for serving
For the black beans and corn:
- 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp finely minced cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl, paprika to cocoa powder.
- Squeeze lime juice over salmon then rub in the spices to completely coat; set aside to rest about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté 2 minutes; add beans, corn and salt and cook until heated through, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss in cilantro and lime juice.
- Heat a clean outdoor grill (make sure the grates are clean and lightly oiled) or if cooking indoors a lightly oiled grill pan over high heat.
- When hot, grill the salmon covered for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish is opaque throughout.
- Serve with black beans, corn and lime wedges.