Sweet Potato Casserole
This is seriously the best sweet potato casserole! Sweet potatoes, golden raisins, crushed pineapple and spices topped with pecans and mini marshmallows, then baked until golden. A classic sweet potato recipe!
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
To be honest with you, I’ve never understood the whole marshmallow thing but after making this recipe, I totally get it! My favorite part of the whole thing was the topping! It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory and the colors are just beautiful making it a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table. Some of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes are Cranberry Pear Sauce, Green Bean Casserole and Brussels Sprouts Gratin.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes for Casserole
I prefer to peel and cube my sweet potatoes before boiling until soft. You can also boil the potatoes whole until soft and then easily remove the skin after once cooled a bit. Then use a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes until your desired texture. If you prefer them a silky consistency you can use an immersion blender, hand mixer or table top blender.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe for twice baked sweet potatoes in the White House Cookbook, Revised and Updated Centennial Edition (affil link) I picked up in DC. I made the recipe exactly as written, then tweaked it a second time to my taste, and to make it into a casserole (I just can’t leave a recipe alone).
More Sweet Potato Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Skins
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, about 5 medium, peeled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp agave
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch allspice
- 8 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Cut sweet potatoes into large chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mash the sweet potatoes and add in raisins, agave, spices and pineapple.
- Lightly spray a pie dish, casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spoon in sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows.
- Bake for 15 minutes.