These low-carb stuffed turkey taco zucchini boats are so easy and delicious, a fun twist on taco night!
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
This has become a favorite in my house! We LOVE zucchini boats, I originally got the inspiration for this dish from these sausage stuffed zucchini boats, another stuffed zucchini favorite! But you can literally stuff a zucchini with anything you can think up.
I’m always trying to think of new filling ideas for my zucchini boats. I’ve made them with enchilada filling, turkey santa fe, lasagna, etc. But to be honest, these might me my favorite. The spiced turkey taco filling topped with cheese, I mean how can you go wrong! Some ideas I have for the future, maybe an Indian spiced boat,
These can be prepped ahead and stuffed and refrigerated a day ahead until ready to bake. Leftovers are great and will last up to 4 days. If you want to make them for meal prep, I would under cook them slightly as they will cook a little more when you reheat.
How to Make Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
More stuffed zucchini boat recipes you will love!
- Santa Fe Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Veggie Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Turkey Stuffed Zucchini
- Colombian Zucchini Rellenos
Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium 32 ounces zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper minced
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half.
- Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
- Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.