This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Thai Chicken Fried Rice
The key to making perfect fried rice is using cold leftover rice.
There’s a really great Thai restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn I used to go to all the time called Sea that has a great vibe and a DJ. I always ordered the fried rice because it’s just amazing! I was on a mission to make this myself, and after researching and experimenting, I managed to get very close. Thai fried rice gets it’s unique flavor from the fish sauce, soy sauce and chili peppers. The jasmine rice is a must! Although here I used chicken, I’ve also made this with shrimp, beef or pork. Enjoy!
Thai Chicken Fried Rice
Thai fried rice gets it's unique flavor from the fish sauce, soy sauce and chili peppers. The jasmine rice is a must!
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 /4th of recipe
- 8 oz chicken breast, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- kosher salt and pepper
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked brown jasmine rice
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 2 to 3 Thai chili peppers, optional
- 4 tsp soy sauce, or tamari for gluten free
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Heat a large nonstick wok over high heat.
- Meanwhile, season chicken lightly with salt and pepper.
- When the wok is very hot, add 2 tsp of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook on high until its browned all over and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken from wok and set aside, add the eggs, pinch of salt and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and add the onion, scallions and garlic. Saute 1 minute, add the chili pepper if using, tomatoes and stir in all the rice.
- Add the soy sauce and fish sauce stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Keep stirring a few minutes, then add egg and chicken back to the wok.
- Adjust soy sauce if needed and stir well another 30 seconds.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 /4th of recipe, Calories: 320.8 kcal, Carbohydrates: 43.9 g, Protein: 20.2 g, Fat: 7 g, Fiber: 2.5 g
67 comments on “Thai Chicken Fried Rice”
Fantastic. My husband is picky (not so much as to what he’ll eat, but he cooks too, so…) and we all loved this.
High on the, ‘make again, please’ list.
This is good. I didn’t have peppers but it needed extra soy sauce for my taste. I served with gochuchang sauce. (I have no idea how to spell that) to kick it up instead. Pretty good! Great use of leftover rice.
This was DELICIOUS! My husband and I loved it. We like a lot of spice so added more Thai peppers, but it was perfect. And satisfied our craving for fried rice from our favorite hibachi restaurant — but so much healthier. Thank you Gina!! As always!
This was delicious. I omitted the chicken and used a marinated tofu to make it vegetarian. Hubby and I loved it!