Baked Ratatouille with Havarti Cheese
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
Layers of eggplant, zucchini and squash are baked in a tomato sauce with bell peppers and herbs then topped with Havarti cheese. This is a great tasting meatless main dish.
- 1 medium eggplant (sliced 1/8th inch thick)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 small red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small (6 ounce zucchini, sliced 1/8th inch thick)
- 1 smalll (6 ounce yellow squash, sliced 1/8th inch thick)
- 3 oz light Havarti cheese (shredded)
Preheat oven to 375F.
In a large non-stick skillet add olive oil and sauté onions and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tsp salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes if using, bay leaf, thyme, basil, red and yellow bell pepper; sauté another 5-8 minutes on medium-low heat.
In a large nonstick grill pan, grill the zucchini and eggplant 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Add 1 cup of the sauce to a casserole dish. Layer the eggplant, squash and the zucchini. Pour the remaining sauce over the top and top with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
Serving: 1slice, Calories: 185kcal, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2.8g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Sodium: 689mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5g
Freestyle Points: 3
Points +: 5