Seared Tuna Salad with Wasabi Butter Sauce
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
This panko and sesame crusted seared tuna on a bed of arugula and spinach salad, all topped with a wasabi butter sauce, takes Japanese food to whole new level!
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs (or gluten free panko)
- 3 tablespoons black and white sesame seeds
- 4 5-ounce raw ahi or yellowfin tuna steaks (I used Trader Joes frozen ahi tuna steaks)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil or cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- ¼ cup white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups fresh baby arugula
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Sliced radish (for garnish (optional))
- Sliced cucumber (for garnish (optional))
Mix panko and sesame seeds on a large plate or shallow bowl.
Season tuna with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently press both sides of each tuna steak into the crumb mixture.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with oil.
Add 2 steaks, spray each with oil and allow them to cook 2-3 minutes, or until the outer edge becomes opaque. Flip each steak, spray second side with oil and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until the outer edge is opaque. Repeat with remaining 2 steaks.
Set all 4 steaks on a cutting board and allow them to rest and cool.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine soy sauce and wasabi paste. Set aside.
In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add shallots and wine. Simmer until reduced by half, 2-3 minutes. Add the milk and whisk constantly until the sauce no longer looks separated and has slightly thickened (about 1 minute).
Remove from heat and whisk in soy and wasabi paste mixture. Add butter and whisk to combine.
To serve: Distribute arugula and spinach evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Thinly slice the tuna and top each bed of lettuce with 1 tuna steak. Drizzle each with about 1 ½ tablespoons of sauce. Serve immediately.
Serving: 1tuna steak with spinach and arugula, Calories: 311kcal, Carbohydrates: 12g, Protein: 37g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 80mg, Sodium: 552mg, Fiber: 2.5g, Sugar: 2g
Blue Smart Points: 6
Green Smart Points: 8
Purple Smart Points: 6
Points +: 8