Blackened Chicken Fiesta Salad
Blackened Chicken over a flavorful chickpea salad with fresh corn, tomatoes, avocado and lime juice – a quick and easy weeknight dish!
- For the Fiesta Salad:
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15 oz can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup fresh cooked corn (from 1 large ear)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 4 oz diced avocado (1 small haas)
- For the chicken:
- 4 boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl, combine the garlic, lime juice, oil, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt.
Add the chickpeas, corn, tomato, onion and cilantro; mix well.
Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes until it is smoking hot.
Mix together the paprika, salt, cayenne, cumin, thyme, and garlic powder. Spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray on both sides, then coat the chicken breasts evenly with the spice mixture.
Place the chicken in the hot skillet, and cook for 1 minute. Turn, and cook 1 minute on other side. Transfer to the oven and bake until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear and a thermometer reads 165F inserted in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. Slice chicken.
When ready to eat, gently mix avocado into the salad, top with chicken and serve right away.
Serving: 1breast, 3/4 cup salad, Calories: 516kcal, Carbohydrates: 40g, Protein: 60g, Fat: 13.5g, Cholesterol: 166mg, Sodium: 855mg, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 2g
Freestyle Points: 2
Points +: 7