Hearty Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Break out your soup pot, you'll want to make a batch of this delicious, hearty meatless vegetarian pumpkin chili today! Packed with vegetables, beans, pumpkin puree, beans and tons of flavor, then served with cheese, tortillas, avocado and all the yummy toppings.
- For seasoning mix:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For chili:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (finely minced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeds and membrane removed, minced)
- 2 medium carrots (diced into ½-inch cubes)
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms (stemmed, wiped clean and cubed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- For toppings:
- 1 extra-large or 2 small avocado (cubed)
- 5 green onions (sliced)
- 10 tablespoons reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 ounces baked tortilla chips (crushed)
- chopped cilantro (for garnish)
In a small bowl, combine everything in the seasoning mix. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeño and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook until carrots start to brown and mushrooms release some of their liquid, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
Add the seasoning mix and stir to evenly coat.
Add the corn, tomatoes, pumpkin, beans and stock and mix well.
Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When carrots are fork tender, remove from heat, serve 1 cup of chili and top with desired toppings.
Serving: 1cup plus toppings*, Calories: 232kcal, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 19mg, Sodium: 674mg, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 8g
Blue Smart Points: 2
Green Smart Points: 5
Purple Smart Points: 2
Points +: 6