Quick Mexican Brown Rice
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
This Mexican inspired side dish is perfect for Mexican nights.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (if frozen, heated)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion (finely diced)
- 2 medium plum tomatoes (small dice)
- 1 jalapeno (seeds and membrane removed, minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 5 lime wedges (for serving)
- chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat the cooked rice. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions, tomatoes and jalapeno and sauté until just tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
Add the tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the vegetables. Add the cooked rice, stir, and cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Serve with cilantro and lime wedges on the side.
Serving: 3/4 cup, Calories: 200kcal, Carbohydrates: 39g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 3.5g, Cholesterol: 17mg, Sodium: 234mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g
Freestyle Points: 5
Points +: 5