Slimmed Down Shrimp Po’ Boy
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
This slimmed down version Shrimp Po Boy is a makeover of the popular Louisiana style sandwich which is usually fried and high in calories.
Herb Buttermilk Slaw:
- 1 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp low fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp shallot (finely minced)
- 1 tsp fresh chives (finely minced)
- 1 tsp fresh parsley (finely minced)
- 1 small garlic clove (crushed)
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about 1/4 a small head)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/4 a small head)
- 1/2 cup pre-shredded carrots
For the Shrimp:
- 6 oz large peeled and deveined shrimp (tails removed)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 3/4 tsp 30% Less Sodium Old Bay
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 7.5 oz about 3/4 loaf French baguette, multi-grain or whole grain
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- hot sauce (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine Greek yogurt, buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallot, chives, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
Add the red and green cabbage and carrots, mixing to evenly coat. Set aside.
In another medium bowl, combine the shrimp, cumin, sugar, garlic and Old Bay.
Gently toss, evenly coating the shrimp. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the olive oil then the shrimp and cook until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
While shrimp are resting, slice the baguette into 3 even pieces, then slice each of the 3 pieces in half horizontally.
Remove the inner soft part of the bread, leaving the outer crust.
Toast in toaster oven (or broil in the oven) until desired crispness.
To assemble: Top each sandwich with 2 ounces of shrimp and 2/3 cup slaw.
Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Serving: 1sandwich, Calories: 293kcal, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 5.5g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Sodium: 858mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 7g
Freestyle Points: 7
Points +: 7