Chicken Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
This hearty soup – loaded with chicken, kale, sweet potatoes and veggies, will warm your bones on this cold winter we are having! And the leftovers are perfect for heating up for lunch the next day and can also be frozen for another night.
- 2 chicken breasts (on the bone, skin removed (about 26 oz total with bone))
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (such as adobo)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and diced 1-inch cubes)
- 3 cups kale (roughly chopped)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Season the chicken with the adobo and set aside while you prep all your vegetables.
Heat a large nonstick pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, add the oil and the onions and celery and cook until soft and golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, then add the garlic and dry spices and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken, jalapeno and cilantro.
Cover and cook 20 minutes, then add the sweet potato and kale and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the chicken, shred or cut up and discard the bones.
Return to the pot, discard the jalapeno and serve the soup into 6 bowls.
Serving: 11/2 cup, Calories: 223kcal, Carbohydrates: 19g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Sodium: 1142mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 2g
Blue Smart Points: 2
Green Smart Points: 4
Purple Smart Points: 0
Points +: 5