Quick Mussels Fra Diavolo
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Mussels in a spicy red marinara sauce – simple and elegant, best served with lots of whole wheat crusty bread for dipping into the delicious sauce.
- 1 25.25 oz jar DeLallo Marinara or homemade marinara
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 2 garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (omit for Paleo and Whole 30)
- 3 lbs 48 to 50 live mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley (for garnish)
- optional whole wheat crusty bread, for serving
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
Add the shallot, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the mussels, cover and cook until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open.
Season lightly with salt, then transfer the mussels and sauce to a platter.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve right away with crusty bread.
Serving: 8mussels + sauce, Calories: 214kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 8.6g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 543mg, Fiber: 10g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green Smart Points: 4
Purple Smart Points: 4
Points +: 5