Mini Turkey Meatball Vegetable Soup
Mini Turkey Meatball Vegetable Soup is kid-friendly and perfect to warm up to on a chilly autumn night.
For the Meatballs:
- 20 oz 1.3 lb ground turkey breast 93% lean
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup onion (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Soup:
- 32 oz container reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- 8 oz zucchini (diced)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- extra parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, onion, garlic, salt and cheese. Using your (clean) hands, gently mix all the ingredients well until everything is combined.
Form small meatballs, about 1 tbsp each, you'll get about 42. Bake in the oven about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute until tender and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, parmesan cheese rind, salt and pepper.
Add the rosemary,bay leaves, basil and parsley, cover and cook on low 40 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves, rosemary sprig, parmesan rind and drop the meatballs in along with the zucchini and spinach, cover and simmer until the zucchini is tender and meatballs are cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes, season to taste with salt and black pepper if needed.
Serve with extra grated cheese on the side if desired.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Calories: 229kcal, Carbohydrates: 14g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 87mg, Sodium: 747mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green Smart Points: 5
Purple Smart Points: 4
Points +: 6