Cheesy Baked Pumpkin Pasta
Whole wheat pasta baked in the oven with a quick pumpkin sauce made with bacon, shallots, pecorino cheese and a touch of rosemary then topped with mozzarella cheese. This is such a great Fall dish, and my husband loved how it turned out!
- 8 oz Delallo uncooked whole wheat pasta (use brown rice pasta for GF)
- 2 slices center cut bacon (chopped)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 15 oz homemade or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1/4 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella (I recommend: Polly-O)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spray a 9x9-inch baking pan with oil spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat add chopped bacon and sauté until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add chopped shallot and cook 1 minute.
Add pumpkin, chicken broth, rosemary and 3 tbsp Pecorino Romano, stir and add salt and pepper to taste; simmer about 8 - 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente. Drain and add the pasta to the pumpkin sauce and mix well.
Transfer to the baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining shredded Pecorino Romano and mozzarella.
Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.
Let it cool 5 minutes, then divide into 4 equal portions.
Serving: 1generous cup, Calories: 307kcal, Carbohydrates: 49g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 14mg, Sodium: 237mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 5g
Freestyle Points: 8
Points +: 8