Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes
Lean Italian chicken sausage with summer bell peppers and zucchini sauteed with baby red potatoes and fresh herbs for a quick one pot meal.
- 1 lb baby red potatoes (cut in half or quartered)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- 14 oz Italian chicken sausage (sliced 1-inch thick)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4-5 cloves garlic (smashed with the side of the knife)
- 1/2 orange bell pepper (diced 1-inch squares)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (diced 1-inch squares)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced 1-inch squares)
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary (or other fresh herb such as thyme)
- 2 cups zucchini (1/2 inch thick and quartered)
Place oil and potatoes in a large, deep non-stick skillet with a tight fitting lid on high heat; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
When the skillet gets hot and starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cook with a tight lid on for about 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from burning.
Remove from heat and let them sit 5 minutes without removing the lid, then set the potatoes aside on a dish.
Add the sausage to the skillet and saute on medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until browned but not quite cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Season chopped vegetables with salt and pepper. Add onions, peppers, garlic and rosemary to the skillet and mix.
Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers become slightly browned.
Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes, mixing as it cooks until cooked through.
Return the potatoes back to the skillet and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper as needed; cover and cook 5 more minutes.
Makes about 7 1/2 cups.
Calories: 326kcal, Carbohydrates: 33.5g, Protein: 23g, Fat: 11g, Sodium: 897mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 5g
Freestyle Points: 7
Points +: 8