Meatball and Spaghetti Soup
What can be more kid friendly than a bowl of soup with spaghetti and meatballs! Lean turkey meatballs are cooked in a light tomato broth with cut up spaghetti. This is a one pot meal my whole family loves and leftovers are great for lunch.
For the soup:
- 5 cups low sodium (fat-free chicken broth)
- 2 cups water
- 2 chopped cloves garlic (divided)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (divided)
- 1/2 onion (chopped, divided)
- 3-4 tbsp tomato sauce (I use my quick marinara sauce)
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 6 oz dry cut up spaghetti (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
For the meatballs:
- 16 oz 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 small egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
In a soup pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth, water, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1/4 of the chopped onion, tomato sauce, crushed red pepper flakes and fresh black pepper to a boil; simmer about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining ground turkey, parmesan cheese, egg, remaining garlic, remaining onion, remaining parsley, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Form into little 1 inch meatballs (about 36).
Drop meatballs into the broth, cook about 3 minutes; add pasta and cook according to package directions.
Add fresh basil, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Serving: 1/6th (about 1 1/2 cups), Calories: 213kcal, Carbohydrates: 27.5g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 3g, Sodium: 739mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 2g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green Smart Points: 5
Purple Smart Points: 4
Points +: 5