Veggie Latkelles (Waffled Latkes) with Lox
These veggie-packed latkes, are not your traditional latkes, they’re made with shredded potatoes, carrots, zucchini and bell pepper, and they are cooked in a waffle iron so there’s no need to fry! Top them with sour cream, lox and capers or with apple sauce on the side.
- 2 large carrots (peeled and shredded (6 oz))
- 1 large 8 oz zucchini (shredded)
- 1 red bell pepper (shredded)
- 1 medium onion (shredded)
- 2 large russet potatoes (scrubbed and shredded (16 oz))
- 1/4 cup matzo meal (or all-purpose flour (wheat or GF))
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- cooking spray
- Optional For Topping:
- apple sauce
- Nova Lox or smoked salmon
- light sour cream
- chopped dill
- slivered red onion
- capers (drained)
Using a box grater, grate all the veggies, saving the potatoes for last to prevent browning.
Squeeze out all the excess liquid well with a cheese cloth or towels.
Stir in matzo meal or flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the eggs and mix well.
Spray waffle iron and heat on medium-low heat.
Place scant 2/3 cup in the center of the waffle iron and close, cook 5 minutes, until browned and crisp on the edges and cooked through in the center.
Set aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
Serving: 2latkes, Calories: 205kcal, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 139.5mg, Sodium: 575.5mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 6g
Freestyle Points: 3
Points +: 5