Waffled Vegetable Latkes
These veggie-packed latkes, are not your traditional latkes, they’re made with shredded potatoes and a mix of carrots, zucchini and bell pepper, PLUS they’re cooked in a waffle iron so there’s no need to fry! What to serve with latkes is completely up to you, my favorite is with sour cream, lox, capers and red onion, or simply with apple sauce on the side.
Using a waffle iron to make latkes is a game changer. The edges come out crisp and since you’re not deep frying them, the only oil you need is to spray the waffle iron. I have a basic round Cuisinart Waffle Iron (affiliate link) that I’ve been using to make everything from waffled crab cakes, grilled cheese, and more! Funny think is I never make waffles in it.
Some tips to make perfect latkes:
- Shred the vegetables in a box grater and squeeze all the excess liquid out using paper towels or a cheese cloth.
- The potatoes brown fast so that is the last vegetable I grate.
- Once you make the batter it’s best to work quick as the vegetables will continue to release liquid if they sit to long.
- Set your waffle iron to medium-low, let it get hot, spray generously with oil and add just under 2/3 cup batter. Close tight for about 5 minutes so the center cooks.
Which Potatoes are Best for Latkes?
I like using Russet potatoes but I’ve also made them with Yukon Gold. For a sweeter latkes, you can also use sweet potatoes. These can easily be made gluten-free with an all purpose gluten-free flour mix.
Veggie Latkelles (Waffled Latkes) with Lox
These veggie-packed latkes, are not your traditional latkes, they’re made with shredded potatoes, carrots, zucchini and bell pepper, and they are cooked in a waffle iron so there’s no need to fry! Top them with sour cream, lox and capers or with apple sauce on the side.
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (6 oz)
- 1 large 8 oz zucchini, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, shredded
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and shredded (16 oz)
- 1/4 cup matzo meal, or all-purpose flour (wheat or GF)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- cooking spray
Optional For Topping:
- apple sauce
- Nova Lox or smoked salmon
- light sour cream
- chopped dill
- slivered red onion
- capers, drained
- Using a box grater, grate all the veggies, saving the potatoes for last to prevent browning.
- Squeeze out all the excess liquid well with a cheese cloth or towels.
- Stir in matzo meal or flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Spray waffle iron and heat on medium-low heat.
- Place scant 2/3 cup in the center of the waffle iron and close, cook 5 minutes, until browned and crisp on the edges and cooked through in the center.
- Set aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 latkes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 205 calories
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 139.5mg
- Sodium: 575.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 9g